I don’t know about y’all, but fall always puts me in the mood to bake. But, sometimes I don’t always want to take all the extra steps to make something from scratch. Today’s blog post is all about how to make boxed cake mix taste like it was made from scratch. You can also apply these tips to brownie, cookie, or muffin mixes! This is perfect for all you busy ladies that need or want to bake something quick and easy (and with no one knowing it came from a box).
- Tip 1: Substitute oil with butter. If the box says you need 1/3 cup of oil – use 1/3 cup of softened or melted unsalted-butter. Using butter rather than oil will add flavor and richness.
- Tip 2: Substitute water with milk. I recommend using whole or buttermilk. Just like butter, using milk instead of water will add flavor and richness. Want to get creative — use almond or coconut milk!
- Tip 3: Add an extra egg. An extra egg will make your mix more fluffy and moist.
- Tip 4: Add flavorings/emulsions/spices. Adding a ½ teaspoon of vanilla, almond or any other baking emulsion will definitely spruce up your cake mix! Don’t forget about your spices either – adding a few pinches of cinnamon, nutmeg, or all spice (depending on what your baking) will add an extra kick.
- Tip 5: If it’s a chocolate mix, use brewed coffee in place of water. OR, use whole milk and a shot of espresso (my favorite). The coffee/espresso will liven up the chocolate flavor.
If you really want to conceal your boxed cake mix, top with an easy homemade frosting like buttercream or cream-cheese. BUT – if you want to stick with a store-bought frosting, I’ve got a tip for that as well! Dump your store bought frosting in a mixer and add powdered sugar to thicken it up. Keep adding sugar until you’ve reached the desired thickness.
I hope these tips help! When I first started to experiment with baking, these are the ‘hacks’ I used.
Coming up later this month, I’m sharing my (from scratch) Apple Crisp Cupcake recipe — perfect for fall and apple-picking season.
Happy Humpday y’all!